Sunday, June 06, 2021

Half Marathon- June 6 2021- PR

Stats







Benchmark

2021-> 2:00:08    9.10/mile(5.41/km) 

2020-> 2:04:59    9.32/mile(5.55/km)

2019-> 2:13:24.   10:11/mile(6:19/km)  


Experience


This was the third half marathon attempt after one each in 2020 and 2019. The goal for my previous races was to merely complete them. Having a mental reference this time around as to what the distance meant, wanted to challenge myself to see how I could do it from a timing standpoint.


A few adjustments based on the previous learnings helped get a good rhythm going.


1. Early morning start


One thing I had observed from the previous time splits was that the second half of the race is where the momentum gets lost. Early on your legs are fresh, the air is cool and you have everything going for you. After mile 6, the legs start getting fatigued, the sun starts sapping the energy and I've found myself slowing down significantly. 


To avoid the heat trap, started early around 6 am this time around. The goal was to cover the maximum distance before the effect of the heat starts setting in. Luckily, it was a cloudy day with 48F(9C) and the sun nowhere to be seen. The early morning start made a significant difference wherein I could focus on the run without having to deal with the heat.


2. Consistent pace


In the earlier races, I always followed the adage start slow and pick up the pace. While that is a great strategy to ensure that one completes the race without losing steam in between, it does impact the momentum in the initial half. 


This time around, I focused on getting a good start and keeping a consistent pace throughout the run. The idea was to get a steady rhythm going without pushing myself crazy at any point.


The splits indicate that I was able to execute this strategy to a good effect. The first mile was completed at 8:45/mile( 5:26 /km). The first 5K was completed in 26 min. From here on I kept the mind focussed on the process and ensuring that the pace does not drop significantly at any point. 

The plot was lost a bit in mile 9 which took 9:50(6:06/km). This was the slowest mile in the race. However, I was able to recover and get the pace back on track from mile 10 onwards.


The last 5k was completed in 27:03 which was not too far off from the first 5K in terms of timing.

 

3. Fuel and Water


Timings around the intake of fuel and water were the other things I got right this time around. 


I had the fuel gel and water at miles 2.30, 5.50, 8.20, and 11.00. The key was to ensure that I do not get to a point wherein I start feeling thirsty. The fuelling had to be done before this tip-over point as the energy loss and consequently the pace drop kicks in significantly once the thirst is felt.



The goal of the race was to beat the 2-hour mark which was missed by 8 seconds. Nevertheless, it was a satisfying run in terms of the overall process. Bettered the previous performance by 4 min and 51 seconds. 


The positive aspects, as well as the opportunities for improvement in terms of better mental focus, would serve a long way in the running journey ahead.



No comments:

 
;