Wednesday, January 06, 2021

2020- A lookback

2020- A lookback


2020 has indeed been unprecedented. Who would have thought that the entire world would have had to stay confined for many many months!! The year has indeed been full of challenges having to work from home, minimize the outdoors, school from home, and deal with the barrage of negative news all around.

That being said, 2020 has also been one filled with new possibilities. Looking back, I feel thankful and blessed just to be alive. This year is a jolting reminder the present moment is the only thing real. There are no guarantees that I could see the sunrise tomorrow. Hence being present and happy is all there is to this fleeting life.


2020 has also been a year of warm connections. When a virus stopped the entire humanity on its tracks, the realization dawned that a lot of rushing around until that point was needless. The boundaries between work hours and home hours disappeared. As a result, it became easier to bring one's true self to work. The instances of kids and pets popping up between work meetings became a common sight and an accepted norm. Family members could also witness what happened at work which was earlier a black box between 9 to 5 wherein the person disappeared somewhere and then showed back home. People started youtube channels and found time for their hobbies and interests. I also rediscovered my school friends in Chalakudy and reminisced about the fun times together.


So has 2020 been one of progress or loss for humanity? It's hard to say and depends on the prism with which the events are being looked at. The definition also varies from person to person shaped by circumstances. One barometer that has been helpful for me is a measure of the time spent in being truly alive and present. A few simple questions help frame this up:


  • Am I truly immersed with my daughter while spending time with her?
  • Am I paying attention to what am I eating, when am I eating and how am I eating?
  • Am I paying attention to my physical and mental well being? How can I share joy if I am not taking care of myself?


In retrospect, I count those activities that helped me reinforce the present moment as progress. Here are the stats for 2020:


1. Running


Distance: 400.41 mi(644.39km) Vs 306.58 mi(493.39km) for 2019

Time: 71:52 hrs Vs 61.25 hrs for 2019

Personal Records

5K- 26:15 (8:27 min/mile)

10K- 54:31 (8:46 min/mile)

Half Marathon-2:05:42 (9:36 min/mile) 


2. Biking

Distance: 801.96 mi(1290.62) Vs 502.6 mi(808.85km) for 2019

Time: 62:24 hrs Vs 59:22 hrs for 2019


3. Swimming

Distance: 16.59 mi(26.69km) Vs 14.73(23.70km) for 2019

Time: 10:30 hrs Vs 19: 04 hrs for 2019


4. Walking

Distance: 234 mi(376.58km) Vs 446 mi(717.76 km) for 2019

Time: 114:00 hrs Vs 192:22 hrs for 2019


Summary: 


Distance: 1453 mi (2338 km) Vs 1270 mi (2043 km)

Time: 332 hrs Vs 259 hrs for 2019

Total days active: 221


5. Reading

Books Read- 24

Time Read: 132 hrs

Top 3 books

  • Man's search for Meaning- Viktor E Frankl
  • I am Malala- Malala Yousafzai
  • Siddhartha- Hermann Hesse


Complete list of books referenced here


So what helped?


1. Little things every day adds up- I have been doing the above activities previously too but the biggest difference this year has been the consistency. With a lot more time available at hand, it became a bit easier to fit these activities into the daily schedule. 


2. Keep encouraging yourself- You are your own best teacher. Pat yourself on the back when you take that small walk outside or find time to read a book. Find a company to discover motivation for the things you want to pursue. A triathlon club that I joined earlier in the year has been a big source of strength.

 

3. Have fun- I felt joyful doing some of the things I did. If you are not enjoying the process, you are likely not going to enjoy the result. A few instances where I got bogged down with some boring books is a classic example. Instead of throwing the book aside, I tried to stick on and finish it no matter what. This ended up with me spending a much longer time on these books. On the contrary, I looked forward to picking up and continuing those books that kept me hooked. Life is short. Have fun. Throw things away and start anew if something isn't working. 


What can be improved?


1. Less is more- One thing that I always feel guilty about at the end of the day is not having done enough. This happens due to that checklist with several things marked to be done only for the day to be hijacked by everything life throws at you. I have noticed this pattern both at work and personal front. A more prudent strategy is to make a list of only 2/max 3 things to be done every day. This helps keep things in perspective and do a better job of those 3 things rather than having to squeeze in a lot and add to the stress.


2. Stick to the basics I frequently go back in memory to the childhood days at school in a small town of Chalakudy. Used to be woken up by grandma at 5 am which is when the church bell rang and the temple song played. The day started with a black coffee and progressed at a steady pace with a river bath, visit to the temple, ride to school on a BSA SLR bike, classes, games with friends, and back home to play some more, finish the homework and get to bed around 9 pm. The only indulgence were the designated programs that played in DD such as chitrahaar, byomkesh bakshi, chithrageetham or wagle ki duniya. A good 1500 Rs was sufficient for a family to meet their monthly needs. Life was just...well....simple and had a rhythm.


Fast forward to now and we have a smartphone that streams the world and helps connect people far and wide. But are we truly connected? While the breadth of relationships is ever-expanding, the depth seems lacking. This is definitely not the fault of the technology but the me who is using it. I wonder occasionally as to how the spirit of those old simple times can be imbibed into these fast-paced modern day. As Covid has reminded, it is time to possibly slow down and find happiness in small things.


Read this Zen story somewhere:


A professor visited a Zen master with certain preconceived judgments. The master poured the tea in a cup and it started overflowing. Stop..said the professor. What are you doing?


Master replied, Like this cup, you are full of yourself and your notions. How can you learn about Zen unless you empty your cup??


It's time to empty the cup and start 2021 all over again..

3 comments:

Rajesh Uppath said...

Good thoughts & Well written... 👍

Unknown said...

Awesome Ramki! Nicely written.True, life is about to enjoy each & every single moment & living at present.This pandemic has played a great role in reminding us same.

Shoba said...

You are amazing. I couldn’t even read through all your physical activities!

You enhanced my 2020. I am blessed.

 
;